I gathered up some of the mysterious parts and sent a picture to Randy (the Caterham dealer) to help me identify.
Hindsight: Clockwise starting from top right – Diff top cover (not used), Gear shaft bearing that mates the engine to gearbox,throttle linkage, rubber boot to block unused plenum vacuum outlet, temp sensor to install at coolant outlet, 2 seals for the oil cooler plumbing, bracket for throttle linkage.
I worked on a few small things that I knew how to do and didn’t take long.. Fitted the following parts:
Reversing switch on the gearbox.
Engine mounts on the chassis.
Crank position sensor. Note the special alignment tool.
The challenging job was fitting the new sump. The main trouble was figuring out where everything goes without any manual. I started working on this on Sunday evening, but I ripped an O-ring and had to buy a new one.
After putting on the new O-ring on the collector pipe, I was really careful not to over-push it in – I used a piece of 7/8″ dowel as a stop.
There is a wire mesh filter that you need to install through the plug hole.
I found where the final little plastic part went.
Then fitted the Baffle plate.
Then, I put RTV sealant all around the mating surface of the block and installed the new sump & bolted in place. I put plenty of grease on the mating double-O-ring washer to ensure it did not drop off or move as I mated the two halves – if this part does not go right, then no oil pressure!